You have probably heard it countless times before, Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It starts your metabolism after fasting all night, it fuels the body with necessary nutrients to get you through the day and if done correctly, ensures you continue eating well for the whole day.
So what exactly is a ‘nutritious start to the day’? Here we have put together 4 of our favourite ‘run out the door’ healthy breakfasts. Most of them can be prepared the night before, or even froze (the pancakes) to enjoy when your i a hurry!) We hope you love them as much as we do.
Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey or a pinch of stevia
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- coconut oil or butter for frying
- Preheat griddle over medium-low heat. In a small bowl beat eggs until frothy, about two minutes. Mix in milk, vanilla, and honey or stevia.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine coconut flour, baking soda, and sea salt and whisk together. Stir wet mixture into dry until coconut flour is incorporated.
- Grease pan with butter or coconut oil. Ladle a few tablespoons of batter into pan for each pancake. Spread out slightly with the back of a spoon. The pancakes should be 2-3 inches in diameter and fairly thick. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until the tops dry out slightly and the bottoms start to brown. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with butter, coconut oil, honey, syrup, or fruit.
- 1 cup (100 g / 3 ½ oz) rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (don’t worry if you don’t have, as delicious without as well)
- Juice from 2 sweet oranges (375 ml /13 fl oz)
- 2 tablespoons Greek Natural Yoghurt
- Honey to drizzle (optional)
- 2 coarsely grated red apple such as pink lady or fugi
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 whole oranges, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts of choice
The night before:
Combine oats, chia and orange juice in a bowl.
Cover and soak overnight in the fridge.
In the morning
Fold through yoghurt and apple and spoon into glass jars or serving bowls.
Garnish with pomegranate, pistachio and fresh chopped oranges and enjoy.
Notes and inspiration:
Other fruits are lovely with this muesli – try using pear in place of apple and garnish with fresh ripe figs and roasted walnuts.
Homemade Baked Beans
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kg roma tomatoes, chopped
- 480 g cooked borlotti beans (about 2 tins drained beans)
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Combine onion and olive oil into a pan and sauté for 3 minutes until lightly golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes and toss through.
- Cover and reduce the heat slightly then cook for about 8 minutes or until tomatoes have collapsed and have formed a lovely sauce.
- Add beans, sea salt and maple syrup then cook for a further 5 minutes until the beans have heated through.
- Add the butter and parsley then mix through until butter has emulsified through the tomato sauce.
- Serve in generous bowls and enjoy as a main or as a side to organic eggs and toasted sourdough
Delicious healthy omelette
- 2 eggs
- 1tbls Milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 50g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- ½ tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Use a fork to whisk eggs and milk together. Season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a small non-stick frying pan over medium/high heat. Add mushrooms and zucchini. Cook for 3 mins or until soft. Stir in tomato. Cook 1 min. Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe pan with paper towel.
- Melt butter in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Add eggs to the pan. Use a fork to quickly draw the cooked egg back from edge of pan to allow uncooked egg to run to the edge. Continue until egg is almost set. Cook for a further 30-45 seconds or until egg is just set.
- Spoon mushroom mixture over half the omelette. Sprinkle over cheese. Use a fork to lift one side of the omelette over to enclose filling. Carefully slide onto serving plate. Serve immediately